Thursday, September 22, 2011

Time Turning

This story is really hard to follow in terms of when certain events happened. Because most of it is told through Nelly's point of view and her diary entries and other diary entries and Lockwood's point of view, and sometimes Nelly is looking back on the past and sometimes she's not, the book's chronology soon becomes hard to follow. I am liking this book less and less as I read it, and I'm not sure I have the motivation to finish it. Most of it is not making sense or it just takes too much thought and I have too many other books to read. (Heart of Darkness? Impossible.)
The latest event that has happened so far in the book I think is the very first chapter, since it starts in 1801. From there, I get pretty lost in it all. Nelly is telling Lockwood a story from her past, but only a few dates of major events are named. The rest I just kind of infer that the order of them isn't vital to the story line. I looked it up, and Sparknotes helped me to understand it much better, but now I f ind myself trying to place each new event on the timeline Sparknotes gave me. Maybe I should have just stayed in the dark about it. Oh well, I'm just going to assume that as long as it makes sense, I can put this book's events in whatever order I choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment