Monday, September 19, 2011

Poet of the Month

1. "Surprised By Evening"- Robert Bly
2. "Poem to be Read at 3 a.m."- Donald Justice
3. "I Said it to You"- Paul Eluard
These poems are my favorites so far because they are unique.
"Surprised By Evening" is my personal favorite, especially because I love nature and poems about it. This poem just describes so beautifully but leaves enigma in the words and the message the author is trying to convey. I enjoy reading passages with vivid imagery, as reflected in many of my sentences of the week, and this poem is full of bright images.
"Poem to be Read at 3 a.m." is another poem that catches my attention. Donald Justice incorporates deliberate line breaks in the work which contribute to the relaxed flow and emphasize specific words, phrases, or ideas. Also the last few lines, "this is for whoever had the light on," seem very personal, and give a meaning to the poem beyond describing his late-night drive.
"I Said it to You" is a sweet love poem. Well, I think it's about saying "I Love You," but I guess that's up to interpretation. Again, it uses nature imagery which is enticing for me to read. It is also just a cute poem though, which everyone likes to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment