Friday, November 4, 2011

Currently

For Weeks 2 and 3
Pages: 207
Semester Total :1184

On the Road- Jack Kerouac
Just Finished Oliver Twist- Charles Dickens

Sentences of these Weeks:
-I was so interested in the opera that for a while I forgot the circumstances of my crazy life and got lost in the great mournful sounds of Beethoven and the rich Rembrandt tones of his story.

-We were on the roof of America and all we could do was yell, I guess--across the night, eastward over the Plains, where somewhere an old man with white hair was probably walking toward us with the Word, and would arrive any minute and make us silent.

-Soon it got dusk, a grapy dusk, a purple dusk over tangerine groves and long melon fields; the sun the color of pressed grapes, slashed with burgundy red, the fields the color of love and Spanish mysteries.

These sentences all just give a pretty good idea of Jack Kerouac's approach to describing things. He leaves a lot up to interpretation, and he describes many things in ways I'm not sure he can even fully grasp. But that's his style, and I like it because it's different than how anyone else would ever even attempt to write, and he's the only one I feel can pull it off. And in a weird way, his enigmatic descriptions make me understand the depth of the situation and his feelings better than a straightforward, denotative passage could accomplish.

No comments:

Post a Comment